Taco Tuesday just got a little better with these quick and easy, low-carb Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados – I’m obsessed!
Low-Carb Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados
We love taco nights in my house, and Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps and Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats are favorites in my home! But swapping the lettuce or zucchini for avocado? Even BETTER! You’ll need to eat them with a spoon eat up every last bite. This whole meal is ready in under 30 minutes.
These taco stuffed avocados are actually going on our dinner rotation this week. It’s a win, win because we all love my taco meat recipe, and we love avocados. And, since we over-indulged over the holidays we are cutting back on the carbs. Of course, avocados are loaded with good-for-you fats so they are much healthier than serving on a taco shell. And the portions are really filling, I couldn’t even finish the two.
For my daughter Madison, I’ll make hers on either flour or corn tortillas, or maybe even tostada shells.
Tips and Variations:
- Look for smaller haas avocados that usually come 4 in a pack. Those typically yield 4 ounces of avocado once you remove the skin and pit.
- The pit has a small well once removed, so I spoon a bigger opening to allow more filling in each, and simply take the extra and spoon it on top.
- If you want to try this with chicken, this crock pot salsa chicken works great.
- Don’t like turkey? Swap it for ground beef or chicken instead.
To Meal Prep
To Make this for meal prep, make the turkey ahead and refrigerate up to 4 days. If prepping for lunch, divide the remaining ingredients in small containers and heat the turkey separate. Cut the avocado just before you’re ready to eat. The avocado should be room temp and the taco meat should be warm.
Taco meat can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
More Taco Recipes You Will Love
Low Carb Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
Taco Tuesday just got a little better with these low-carb Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados – I’m obsessed!
- 4 small avocados, yields 16 oz fruit
- 1 small lime
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 small yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt, optional for topping
Halve and pit avocados. Using a spoon, scoop out a some of the avocado, to make a larger well.
Dice reserved avocado and set aside for later. Squeeze lime juice over all avocados to prevent browning.
Heat a medium skillet over high heat, spray with oil.
When hot, add the ground turkey, spices and onion and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, water and cook, stirring until cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
Fill each avocado half with turkey, then top with cheese, reserved avocado, tomato, and Greek yogurt or sour cream, if desired. Eat with a spoon!
Serving: 2halves, Calories: 422kcal, Carbohydrates: 16g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 90mg, Sodium: 656mg, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 1g
Blue Smart Points: 9
Green Smart Points: 9
Purple Smart Points: 9
Keywords: keto taco, low carb tacos, stuffed avocado recipes, taco stuffed avocado